Bharatanatyam

/
0 Comments

Bharatanatyam
भरतनाट्यम 

Bharatanatyam is one of the beautiful dance forms India has to offer. It is an Indian classical dance form which originated in the temples of Tamil Nadu, India. This form of classical dance is a very traditional art form and reflects the culture of India. The origin of this dance form dates back to the 17th century.

Traditionally, Bharatanatyam is danced to the carnatic music style. Usually, music is composed for each dance item. The music encompasses both talas (rhythmic patterns) and ragas (melodies). In Bharatanatyam, [BH] stands for bhava, or emotion. [RA] stands for raga, or melody. [TA] stands for tala, or rhythm. [NATYAM] means dancing or acting. All of these parts put together is all that Bharatanatyam is comprised of, and only with full attention to all aspects does the dance seem complete in its entirety.

A major part of a Bharatanatyam performance is the costume. There are many aspects to a Bharatanatyam dancer costume. From the intricate design on the dresses themselves, to the detailed makeup, there are various parts that add up to the final product that is shown in a performance.

Personally, I have been learning the art of Bharatanatyam since the age of four. In these past 14 years, I have completed both my Salangai Pooja and my Arangetram. I am still in the process of learning, and am in no way a professional. I am still a progressing student and I am here to share my dance journey with you all. Please share your Bharatanatyam experience with me as well and we can create a beautiful community through dance.








You may also like

©Divyanka Gupta 2014. Powered by Blogger.